Old Cropton Photos 1




Here we have some more of the old Cropton photos. The photo below is of Prospect Farm, which is located at the southern end of the village.
gc
The two children on ‘Daisy’ the horse are Barbara Aconley & her cousin Philip Boyes.
gc
barbara aconley and philip boyes at prospect farm cropton
gc
Maybe the photo below should have been included in the aerial view section. Cropton is set on the tabular hills and affords views over the Cropton forest area. The Forestry Commission alias the Ministry of Agriculture & Fisheries bought lots of the old Keldy estate and set about planting it with trees.
gc
In the distance is where the Keldy Forest Log Cabins are now situated. On the photo is the Sutherland Lodge activity centre (top left) and the White coloured buildings are on the way to the forestry cottages where the workers were accommodated.  The white line running diagonally across the field is now the public footpath that goes through a Sitka Spruce plantation. It is believed this photo was taken after the Second World War.
gc
surprise view cropton old photo




gc
The Blacksmith’s Shop was a very essential part of Cropton village life when horses provided the main transport for the villagers. To the right of the photo is the Cropton Chestnut Tree. At a guess the photo is from the 1920’s.
gc
blacksmiths shop cropton old photo